Junior Level Rules and Regulations
PO Box 16181, Hooksett NH 03106
RULES AND REGULATIONS GRADE 5 & 6
As Amended: 03/15/2022
A. Level/Team Designation
1. Varsity Game: Competitive
2. JV Game: Developmental NOTE: team designation based on a player’s physical and emotional wellbeing, as well as talent/skill level.
B. Team Responsibilities:
1. Provide a roster using the template roster provided by the League for all teams to use.
2. Official team rosters are to include the following player information:
a. Player’s first and last name
b. Game jersey number(s): Must be position appropriate: see NHFS rules
c. Player’s birth date
d. Town of residence e. Player’s weight and weight classification
f. Level/Team Designation: Players must be designated Varsity or JV
3. Roster Changes
a. Any team requesting a revision to its roster after they submitted their official league roster i.e.: add a player, change in game jersey number, etc., must contact the Vice Chairman and/or his designee by 8pm the WEDNESDAY NIGHT, prior to the upcoming game. If adding a new player after the official league weigh-in, that player is automatically ineligible to play in a ball carrier position. See section F.3.
b. Roster changes are to be sent to the other league teams by the Vice Chairman and/or his designee, as soon as possible.
C. Rules of Play: Rules shall follow the National Federation of State High School Associations (NFHS) rule book, except as noted herein:
1. Teams are to exchange up-to-date roster(s) prior to the start of the 1st game, indicating any roster change that has been made.
2. There shall be two games played: A Varsity game and a JV game.
3. Game will be played on regulation sized football field in accordance with NFHS rules
4. Coaches will not be allowed on field for either game.
5. Game start times shall be set by the home team. See League By-laws for further rules
6. Length of quarters shall be four (4) ten (10) minute regulation periods.
7. Time-outs will not exceed one minute. 8. Halftime breaks will be ten (10) minutes.
9. Breaks between games will be fifteen (15) minutes maximum.
10. No player exceeding 125 pounds can be placed in a ball carrier position. See section F.5 for clarification
11. Game Balls: Junior teams will use Wilson TDJ’s and/or the equivalent of another manufacturer and will supply their own game balls
12. Overtime will be played as followed:
a. Varsity Game: NFHS overtime rules will apply, if after two (2) overtime periods the game is still tied, the game will end in a tie.
b. JV Game: Will not play overtime.
13. Use of Varsity Players in JV games
a. Any player designated as a Varsity player cannot play in a JV game, unless the team does not have enough JV players to field a team, at which time Varsity players can used, but they must play out of their normal position i.e.: Players designated as eligible Varsity Ball Carrier cannot play in a JV Ball Carrier position.
b. Head Coach must notify the opposing head coach prior to the start of game of intent to use Varsity players and must supply name/numbers and what positions they will play at.
14. JV Game Punt Rules:
a. There is no rushing the punter and no returning of the punt.
b. On 4th down, the offensive team must declare they are going to punt or continue playing prior to breaking the huddle.
c. If punting:
i. Once the receiving team touches the ball after it is punted and/or the ball hits the ground, the play shall be considered over.
ii. If the punter does not properly handle the snap and/or snap does not reach the punter, the punter will be allowed to pick up the ball, move to a spot at least 6yds directly behind the center and will punt the ball when ready.
D. Blocking Restrictions
1. All blocks must initiate from above waist/belt line, this includes within the Free Blocking Zone as defined by NFHS. Lineman cannot chop, cut, and/or crab block. This rule applies to both offensive and defensive lineman
2. All other rules and regulations regarding blocking, tackling, etc. will follow NFHS Rules.
E. Player Regulations
1. Age and Grade Restrictions
a. All players must be within the age of 9, 10, 11 and 12 and within grades 4, 5, and 6.
b. A player must be a minimum of 9 years old prior to the first regular season game and entering a grade as indicated above.
c. A player must not have reached their thirteenth (13) birthday before September 1st.
d. All teams must be able to provide birth certificates for their players, upon request by the league.
F. Weight Restrictions/Official Weigh In:
1. All potential ball carriers will be weighed in by the Vice Chairman and/or his designee and/or appointed designee at the Official Weigh-in. The Official Weigh-in will take place at the annual Junior Jamboree. It is mandatory that all teams attend.
2. At the Official Weigh-in:
a. Teams are to bring 2 copies of their roster with them, 1 to go to the Jr Level Coordinator and/or his designee and/or appointed designee, 1 to remain with the head coach to record weights. b. Teams will arrive a minimum 30 minutes prior to weigh in time.
c. Head coach and 1 (one) assistant coach are allowed to be present at weigh in.
d. Head coaches can observe weigh-in and record weight for their own information
e. The assistant coach is responsible for lining players up in numerical order and controlling the team.
f. Parents/guardians/others are not allowed within the designated weigh in area.
3. All potential ball carriers must be weighed in prior to or during the Official Weigh-in or they will not be eligible to be a ball carrier in the upcoming season. Potential ball carries get 1 (one) chance to weigh in. Once they are officially weighed in, they cannot get reweighed if they don’t make weight.
4. Maximum weight of any ball carrier shall not exceed 125 pounds, with a .5-pound variance at the Official Weigh-in, at which time the player is officially added to the team roster.
a. Ball Carrier Positions: Running Back (Tail, Full, Flanker/H Back), Quarterback, Wide Receiver, Tight End*, Kick Off/Punt Returner, and Punter.
b. *Exception: Tight Ends can be over 125lbs, are eligible for passes, but must line up within free blocking zone as defined by NFHS rules. They cannot split out and are not eligible to return punts or kickoffs. Teams must also designate on their official team roster any TE that exceeds 120 pounds and must be number appropriate as defined by NFHS.
5. Any player over 125 pounds, excluding tight ends, when they are added to the roster at the Official Weigh-in is considered over the weight limit for a ball carrier and cannot be re-weighed at a later date to become a ball carrier.
6. Additional Weigh In: For those players who miss and/or are unable to attend the Preseason Jr. Jamboree, an additional “Official” weight in will take place on the Monday after the Preseason Jr Jamboree, time and location to be determined by the Jr Level Coordinator and/or his designee. Teams to be notified by the Thursday prior to Preseason Jr Jamboree of time and place of the additional “Official” weigh in
7. A team may also request a weigh-in(s). by contacting the Vice Chairman and/or their designee. If request is for a new player to be added after the official league weigh in, see section B.3.
8. No challenges can be made once the Official Weigh-in has been recorded and the player is added to the Official Team Roster.
9. For the 2022 season only, ball carrier maximum weight will be 130#.
will consist of at least three (3) board certified officials scheduled by the Northeast Jr. High. Football League. H: Varsity Playoff/Championship Games: See League By-Laws
Note: any decision on rules, regulations and administration of the Junior/Youth Level is under the authority of the Northeast Junior High Football League